WHY DOES RI COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DOES RI COLLECT?
To access or download any of RI’s products and services, including free trials, you must open an account via RI's online or mobile registration process. Information gathered during the registration process or when you access Rhapsody products and services, including the RI Social Network, may differ based on the nature of the product or service and may include: name and email address, billing information, information concerning your use of the services, software downloaded, products and content purchased, accessed, downloaded and/or burned through RI products or services (including, in the case of music products, tracks streamed, purchased or saved in libraries or playlists), location information (such as zip code or postal code and country), computer configuration (such as operating system, connection speed, and peripherals), the IP Internet (IP) address and URL of the website that sent you to the RI registration page, the types of peripherals (including portable media players) used by RI products on your computer (to ensure that you have access to the latest fixes and patches for full compatibility with these devices), your device’s Unique Device Identifier (UDID), geographic location, demographic information provided by you (such as language, gender and age, and, if applicable, content preferences and personalization information), and whether you logged into or out of an RI service, or changed your password or billing information (collectively, "Personal Information").
HOW DOES RI USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
RI uses your Personal Information to:
- Deliver to you and bill you for RI products and services, and communicate with you concerning your account and customer service issues. This may include verifying authorization of credit card usage before any purchase of premium content or services (e.g., for the purposes of access to a free trial, or to the Music Store);
- Verify access rights to premium content or other access-restricted services and software, including for the purpose of supporting digital rights management software;
- Improve our software and services by providing personalized content recommendations, language and location customization, and/or personalized help and instructions;
- Determine if you meet the minimum system requirements to use our products, and provide information concerning compatibility and interoperability to you;
- Track content accesses, downloads and burns for the purpose of paying royalties and license fees to third party providers, such as record labels and other copyright holders and content distributors;
- Track registration traffic for purposes of paying advertising partners;
- Ask you to participate in surveys about products, services, news and events;
- Offer you product upgrades, content, services and games for you to purchase;
- Create your non-personally-identifiable RI Social Network profile and enhance the RI Social Network’s synching feature;
- Provide you with content, services, instructions, and a more personalized experience based on non-sensitive Personal Information, such as your language preferences, zip/postal code, country locations, and any content or other preferences you provide;
- Auto-update downloaded RI products;
- Provide you with news, free newsletters, updates, targeted advertising, promotions, and special offers; and
- Better understand how our products are used, including Web and mobile traffic patterns and what types of content are most popular with users of our products and services;
- Test and develop upgrades and improvements to our products and services.
WHEN AND HOW DOES RI SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
RI does not use your Personal Information for purposes incompatible with those listed above.
RI may disclose relevant information about its customers to our contractors (e.g. a customer service contractor or a credit card clearing service) in order for them to provide specific services for RI to better serve our customers. RI's contractors are bound by contractual requirements to keep the information they process secure..
Also, RI may disclose your Personal Information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law; (b) comply with the order of a competent judicial authority in any jurisdiction; (c) comply with legal process served on RI; (d) protect and defend the rights or property of RI; or (e) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of RI products or the public at large.
Your credit card will be charged for the renewal term of your Service on your billing date ("Billing Date"), based on the type of subscription (e.g., on a particular date each month for a monthly subscription; on the three-month date for a quarterly subscription; on the anniversary for an annual subscription, etc.). If, however, your Activation Date is on the 29th, 30th or 31st day of a month, and your Billing Date does not exist in a particular month because there are fewer than thirty-one (31) days in the month payment is due, your Billing Date for that particular renewal will be on the last day of the month in which your Billing Date would otherwise be.
RI websites and products contain links to other websites and products. RI is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites or products. Please visit the privacy policies of these third party sites in order to understand their privacy policies and data collection practices.
Obligatory or Optional Nature of the Requested Information
Some of the Personal Information collected by RI is necessary to provide you with the RI product or service you choose and to optimize the delivery of audio and video data to your computer. RI software may include the opportunity to disable certain software features to increase your level of privacy. However, certain technical information (e.g., zip code, product id, GUID) may be automatically transmitted between networked servers to authenticate access to products and services, enable their delivery, or optimize your media delivery experience.
HOW DOES RI SECURE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
RI understands that it is a privilege to have you as a customer and uses reasonable measures to safeguard your personal information. RI keeps customer’s financial information secure through a variety of industry standard protections including, use of systems to monitor and alert in the event of a network attack, physical security precautions, and video surveillance. RI consumer payments and direct debit billing are processed through a tokenized system implemented by a secure payment processor; and, RI does not store consumer credit card data on its servers. RI also uses Paypal and Amazon Payments as secure alternative payment providers.
E-MAIL FROM RHAPSODY
Registering for a product or service allows you to tell us how or whether you want RI to communicate with you. Generally, RI sends e-mail about its products, content and special offers. You may opt out of receiving RI marketing e-mails and/or newsletters by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email you receive from Rhapsody. Additionally, your online RI account, accessed through the "My Account" link provided in emails and on RI Web pages, enables you to select whether you wish to receive newsletters, marketing, promotional emails, and special offers. However, RI may continue to send you e-mail about products or services you have previously purchased (such as an available upgrade that you are entitled to receive), your account status or other information concerning functions, features and status of your RI products and services, or to inform you about critical technical service issues relating to a RI product or service.
HOW TO ACCESS AND UPDATE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
To access your account information and preferences, select "Manage My Account" from the menus on the RI software. Sign in to your account and modify your information and preferences as needed.
You may also review and update your account on the web at www.rhapsody.com, by selecting "My Account," and logging in using your name and password.
When you access your account by logging in, you can update and/or make sure that your account information is accurate. You can also manage your preferences concerning receipt of newsletters, promotional emails, and profile sharing settings. To Edit your RI Social Network profile sharing settings you must log in to your account at www.rhapsody.com; select the “My Music” menu; then click on “Profile”.
If you have forgotten a username or password, please refer to RI's online help resources.
RI does not require that you accept cookies; however, some functionality on its websites, its product purchase check-out process, and products and services may be disabled if you decline to accept cookies. You can disable cookies within your browser or set your browser to notify you and give you the option to decide whether or not to accept each cookie you receive. To disable Flash cookies, you will need to turn them off in Adobe’s Flash preferences by clicking here. For information on browser cookie preferences please click here. You may also change your cookie settings through preferences options in our products.
NON-US CUSTOMER INFORMATION
If you are a European resident and your data privacy complaint was not satisfactorily addressed by RI, you may contact the Direct Marketing Association at:
Safe Harbor Line
Direct Marketing Association
1111 19th Street, NW - Suite 1100
Washington, DC 20036
NO ERROR FREE PERFORMANCE
CONTACT US ABOUT PRIVACY
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our products or services or would like to make a complaint, please contact:
Rhapsody Legal Department
500 3rd St #460
San Francisco, CA 94107
NOTE: Rhapsody is a trademark of RI
Last modified: January 17, 2013